Just Be ...

This blog is a snapshot of my process toward becoming more present and more aware of who I am and everything that surrounds me.

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

A Greater Vision for Myself

I have always been a confident person, someone who really believes that if I set my mind to something, I can accomplish it. However, there have been moments along the way where I have doubted my ability, or second guessed myself. I must remember to immediately change that thought process, and revisit a mind that does not live within the confines of limits.

Just last night I was in my English 731 class (Race, Space, and Law in the Nineteenth-Century U.S.), and I had the thought that I was not as intelligent as my peers. I was surrounded by articulate people who have a deep understanding of imperialism, post-colonial theory and history. I thought to myself, “This class is going to be too difficult. I doubt that I will have any substantive information or compelling thoughts to contribute to the conversation.” As soon as that thought left me, I reminded myself about last semester. In the fall, I took a 16th Century British Literature class. I was one of 4 graduate students in a room full of scholars obtaining their PhD’s. In the beginning of last semester, I had the same thought: "I am not smart enough to be here." When I told myself that I did deserve to be there and that I could get an A, the results unfolded exactly as I would have wanted. As I placed trust in myself, I was shocked at the results. I challenged myself and wrote my final paper on the most difficult text of the semester and it was the best work I have ever created. I changed my thinking, and walked away from that class with an A. I KNOW that this semester will be the same way. I WILL get an A, and I will not doubt that.

To draw on another example, I struggled with anxiety and depression for most of my life. After 10 years on medication, I decided I did not need it anymore. It was that simple: a thought. I quit my meds the next day. I feel the best I ever have. Another day I decided that I was going to be a vegetarian. The next day, I quit eating meat and have not had a single craving for barbeque or a cheeseburger since.

This vision for personal growth and reaching beyond the realm of limits has NOTHING to do with ego. It is about reaching our FULL POTENTIAL. We limit ourselves all the time and do not see ourselves for who we really are or what we are capable of doing. We are all vessels overflowing with potential. It is up to us to believe that and then watch it manifest in our lives. I hear friends and family say things like:

- I am not smart enough
- I cannot run this mile
- I am not a strong public speaker
- I will never get the job I want
- I can’t quit my job because I won’t be secure
- I will always struggle financially
- I will never be happy

I wonder…is this based on fear; a fear of letting go and removing ourselves from the comfort of what we know to be real? I find that the unknown scares more people than the mess they may find themselves in at that moment. We tend to forget about ordinary people doing extraordinary things. Remember the Revolutionary War? What about Dr. Martin Luther King? What about Gandhi, Mother Teresa or Bill Gates? These are/were people…just like you and me. We can be just as extraordinary, if we only believe this to be true.

Write a vision for yourself and read it everyday. Do not use words like “I will” or “I might.” Use “I have” or “I am.” Remember that WE CREATE THIS REALITY. YOU OWN IT. You are special and have so much to contribute in this world. I believe in you, and now I challenge you to believe in yourself.

My vision statement: I am a balanced, stress-free steward of peace and goodwill who actively works to change lives and impact the world. I have conflict-free relationships that offer the opportunity for personal growth and self discovery. I am enlightened and have transcended the ego. I am calm, collected, fulfilled and able to share my treasure feely with others. I have no fear.

4 comments:

  1. bohzo (hello)

    I like your blog, it is important to write.
    Gwi kigdomen me' gwa gnebech
    We shall speak more perhaps, best wishes and have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. …Very moving. You have overcome many fears, crutches and obstacles and view it as a learning experience—amazing. You are very blessed to have qualities as such—especially in a world that many fail to have--let alone the ability to recognize one’s own individually. I read many blogs, but rarely comment. After reading about doubting your ability at the onset of your English course and reflecting on the same doubt I carried entering college for a B.A. Computer Programming I was inspired to share a similar story. I returned to school 20 years after high school graduation and started pursuing a degree that rivals the difficulty level of a medical degree. Many said I was foolishly and questioned my ability, with good cause due tom my poor performance in my intermediate education. Now I thank those who doubted me, for creating the determination I developed as a result of their doubt. …Four years later I am due to graduate this March with my B.A. in Programming and an A.A in Web Development & Design due to a double major the last 4 years. And I will graduate with honors while maintaining a 3.80 G.P.A or greater throughout my college terms. Yes you are right—we as humans fail to recognize our ability through determination. Although for good reason—we are conditioned from day one to know what we can’t do rather than what we are capable of.

    Thanks again for sharing your thoughts. You are very bright and will succeeded even further in life with little effort and will discover the sky’s the limit with a little extra effort.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, keep up the good work
    Johnny Ray
    http://www.lovepoemsbyjohnnyray.info
    http://www.sirjohn.us

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to all for the kind words.

    ReplyDelete